Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

What? Am I nervous ? Its you whos in the hot seat, my friend!

Well what can I say about this movie.

I must admit I asked somebody what it was about before I went to it and they told me that it was about some guy that goes on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and wins. I thought he was just joking and being a smart ass. Well sure enough the guy was telling the truth, that is exactly what it is about. Well sorta, its a lot more complicated than that, but that gives you a whiff of it.

Slumdog Millionaire is a story about a guy, Jamal, who grew up in the slums and has had many events happen in his life growing up there. These events all end up helping him answer questions on the game show.

This film put you right into how life is living in the slums, it makes the situation very real for you. A lot of people, including me, have no idea what life like that is like and it really puts it into perspective for you. The location of the movie definitely makes the movie, this story line would not be very interesting without it. I can understand how it won so many awards, it keeps your attention in the movie the whole time by hitting all of your emotions and feelings. They also used good cinematography and music which also kept your attention.

I enjoyed the way it was told by flashbacks and helps you understand Jamal and why he knows each answer, it was very interesting. Those events are very real and really puts it into perspective for you. Its also becomes a feel good story about a underdog that only really has one hope in his life, and that is to find Latika, a girl that he has had a connection with from the moment he met her.

Another part of the film I liked is how they Salim and Jamal are shown growing up and you can kind of tell how they are going to be when they grow up. Salim most of the time is doing all the money making schemes and pretty much only cares about himself. Jamal is usually following his brother in his ways but shows that he cares about other people other than himself, especially Latika. When they are shown grown it basically is the same way. Salim is in a mob gang just worried about making money, and Jamal still only cares about Latika and you can really tell when he answers the last question even though he doesnt know it, because either way he has been reuinted with her.

I really enjoyed this movie, even though I was very skeptical going into it. I'm glad I had the opportunity to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment